[Flexradio] 5K not keying amp.
W1JCW
2011-09-24 15:27:17 UTC
Hey there guys -

I was on my 5K last night and working some rtty and ssb. The sdr crashed for some reason now
my 5K wont key my acom 2K.

I went through the menus, settings and restored the db back to factory but no luck.

The amp works fine via my other rigs thank goodness.

Would you have any suggestions I can check why it wont key on the ptt line ??

I have checked the rca cable as well.

Thanks.

73-
W1JCW
John
k4elo
2011-09-24 15:48:51 UTC
You probably already checked this John, but is TX1 box checked on
Antenna Selection?
That has tripped me up many times.

73
Wayne
K4ELO

W1JCW
2011-09-24 22:12:20 UTC
Well son of a gun !!

That was it, the ptt became uncheck !!

What the heck !

Talk about unnerving when you think all of a sudden your amp is down.

I could not recall last night what I had to look for to acutate that keying line.

Thanks for all the replies and I need to check DDutil ptt as well.
I sure do love this forum.

73-
W1JCW
John

k4elo
2011-09-24 22:26:54 UTC
Glad you got it working. One thing that will uncheck it is if
the PTT button on the DDUtil Other tab is not clicked
green/OPER. Took me a while to figure out that was unchecking
the TX1 after I had checked it.

73
Wayne
K4ELO

<[3]W1JCW at hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Hey there guys -
>
> I was on my 5K last night and working some rtty and ssb. The
sdr crashed
> for some reason now
> my 5K wont key my acom 2K.
>
> I went through the menus, settings and restored the db back to
factory
> but no luck.
>
> The amp works fine via my other rigs thank goodness.
>
> Would you have any suggestions I can check why it wont key on
the ptt
> line ??
>
> I have checked the rca cable as well.
>
> Thanks.
>
> 73-
> W1JCW
> John

References

1. mailto:k4elo at fastmail.fm
2. mailto:flexradio at flex-radio.biz
3. mailto:W1JCW at hotmail.com
K0DAN
2011-09-24 22:41:09 UTC
Wayne...

Are you sure of this?

I do use DDUTIL, but not to control an amplifier (an Acom 2000A in my case).
So, the "other" screen in DDUTIL is not in use at all.

True enough, the PTT tab was in STANDBY (yellow), and it indeed unchecks the
TX1 tab in Flex/PSDR Antenna Selection, and also RECHECKS the box when
DDUTIL PTT is set to Operate (green).

HOWEVER if you set DDUTIL PTT to Standby, and then manually check the TX1
box, it seems to work indefinitely...until perhaps the programs are started
up again.

Seems the polling & interface between DDUTIL and PSDR are "one way" in this
regard?

73

Dan
K0DAN

wrote:
> Hey there guys -
>
> I was on my 5K last night and working some rtty and ssb. The
sdr crashed
> for some reason now
> my 5K wont key my acom 2K.
>
> I went through the menus, settings and restored the db back to
factory
> but no luck.
>
> The amp works fine via my other rigs thank goodness.
>
> Would you have any suggestions I can check why it wont key on
the ptt
> line ??
>
> I have checked the rca cable as well.
>
> Thanks.
>
> 73-
> W1JCW
> John

References

1. mailto:k4elo at fastmail.fm
2. mailto:flexradio at flex-radio.biz
3. mailto:W1JCW at hotmail.com
Steve Nance
2011-09-24 22:54:00 UTC
I think a point of clarification of how DDUtil controls the TX lines is in
order. If DDUtil is in Stby (yellow indicator) it will un-check the TX
lines. IF DDUtil is in Oper (green indicator) TX1 or TX2 will be checked
depending on how the Auto Drive is setup.

If you don't want to use the Oper/Stby (PTT) feature of DDUtil select the
"Manual TX" check box on the "Other" tab (middle of form) and DDUtil will
not mess with the TX lines at all.

Hope this helps.

73, Steve K5FR

k4elo
2011-09-25 00:15:51 UTC
Thanks for clarifying that Steve. I haven't had the amp on line for all
that long so I haven't tried setting the auto drive levels yet.
Just trying to get up to speed on 2.0.2.29 with some new hardware.

73
Wayne
K4ELO

K0DAN
2011-09-25 02:02:38 UTC
AHA!!!

W1JCW
2013-04-28 01:50:52 UTC
I've gone through the manual and I don't see how the cover opens or what is the best way to open the 5K up to give a cleaning ?

Suggestions.

73-
W1JCW
John
Neal Campbell
2013-04-28 01:57:54 UTC
JOHN

Look for the manual to install the second RX, it starts with disassembling
the radio!
73
Neal Campbell
Owner
Abroham Neal LLC
Work: +1 540 645 5394
Mobile: +1 540 645 8171

John Walker
2016-09-28 14:00:54 UTC
Checked the site and cannot find instructions on how to open the case.

I have a stuck power on button and want to replace it or clean it up and clean the case out which I have not since

I purchased it.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciate.

73-

W1JCW

John
Steve Sterling
2011-09-24 16:38:07 UTC
I've had something similar happen a few times running version 2.1.5.
Has not happened yet on version 2.2.3 but I haven't had it installed
very long. Its a rare thing.

For me, it is not necessarily initiated with a PSDR crash, it just stops
keying the amp. The solution requires restarting not only PSDR, but the
Flex box as well.

Once I cycle the power on the Flex box, all is OK. For me, it happens
no more often than once every 2 weeks or so, usually not that often.

Steve WA7DUH

manualman
2013-04-28 02:22:08 UTC
The procedure is also in the Flex 5000 service manual under
"Disassembly".

Pete, wa2cwa
http://www.manualman.com

paim
2013-04-28 07:20:34 UTC
and the best to clean it is with datavac never use an air can?
http://www.mrpcclean.co.uk/datavac-electric-duster-ed500-p-261.html

hold the fan when you clean your flex as well good luck
?
vy 73
E.P ?g0uut ?

?
?

________________________________

paim
2013-04-28 07:24:04 UTC
one more thing to look on?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwfQsKUM0BQ
dont get it wrong i do not work for this company .just happy customer?
?
vy 73
E.P ?g0uut ?

?
?

________________________________

W1JCW
2013-04-29 01:57:56 UTC
Neal -

I have version 2.0 of the 5K owners manual but even though I search the doc I cannot find anything about opening the case
in the proper order.

Suggestions ??
Tim Ellison
2013-04-29 14:22:29 UTC
http://support.flexradio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=220

Tim Ellison

W1JCW
2013-04-29 17:41:39 UTC
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have what I need now.

73-
W1JCW
John

http://support.flexradio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=220
manualman
2013-04-29 02:36:59 UTC
It's not in the operating manual. Besides finding it in the Flex 5000
service manual, it's also in this document:

Jordan Arndt
2016-09-28 17:43:44 UTC
If I recall, I found the case dis-assembly instructions in the section
relating to the addition of RX2....I can't say whether that article is still
on the Flex website....

73...Jordan VE6ZT

m***@juno.com
2016-09-28 18:09:45 UTC
The information can be found in several places including the service
manual, RX2 installation guide, and the ATU installation guide(pages 3
and 4).
http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/flex-5000-atu-installation-guide-pdf/
I already passed the info on to the original requester.

Pete, wa2cwa
www.manualman.com

On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 12:38:24 -0500 Al K0VM via FlexRadio
<***@flex-radio.biz> writes:
> Start here...
>
> https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
>

> AL, K0VM
>

> On 9/28/2016 12:00 PM, flexradio-***@flex-radio.biz wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 14:00:54 +0000
> > From: John Walker<***@hotmail.com>
> > To: 'Flex'<***@flex-radio.biz>
> > Subject: [Flexradio] Flex 5000A - How to open the case.

<***@DM2PR10MB0026.namprd10.prod.outlo
ok.com>

John Walker
2016-09-28 22:18:55 UTC
I got it fine. I wanted to do my home work before prying on it.

It sure was clean inside, I expected lots of dust.

Very easy to take a part and go through it. The power button never lined up good and would get stuck.

I removed the front cover and drilled out the power button hole.

All back together now.

Thanks for all who replied.

73-

W1JCW

John

Neal Campbell
2016-09-28 22:22:12 UTC
I havent opened that many 5000s and 3000s but I have never seen a dirty one
(and believe me, here in a house with 2 cats 2-4 dogs and a shaggy
long-haird elderly man(me) living in the same house, its not exactly
laboratory clean!

Neal Campbell
Abroham Neal LLC